As I finalize my preparations for Myanmar, the only obvious task that was still lingering was making my travel playlist. Music normally accompanies my writing process and before I travel I have to anticipate the type of atmosphere I want to settle into when I arrive at a destination.
My 25th birthday is occurring while I am in Myanmar and this trip has a deep, resounding theme teetering in the fringes: reflection. So to embrace the exploration, both outward and inward, that I will be doing on my journey, I sought music with background tracks full of feel-good organic vibes. You’ll notice some notes of bells or symbols in some of the tracks.
Between exploring temples, watching sunsets, biking and boating through neighborhoods with ancient history, and reflecting on the scope of human purpose, we need a playlist as organic, yet dynamic as the travelers we set out to be and the pioneers we return as. These are songs with a lot of heart to represent the heart that I’m taking with me into the journey.
And as the last song on this list soulfully ponders: Welcome to the planet / Welcome to existence / Everyone’s here / Everybody’s watching you now / Everybody waits for you now/ What happens next? (Switchfoot)
Enjoy the playlist and feel free to listen on Spotify, whether you’re exploring your own neighbor, journeying inward with a good book, or simply traveling along side me using my pictures as inspiration.
What’s on the playlist?
- “Eulogy” by Frank Turner
- “Road Regrets” by Dan Mangan
- “Chicago” by Sufjan Stevens
- “Riptide” Vance Joy
- “Budapest” George Ezra
- “You Are a Tourist” by Death Cab for Cutie
- “Am I Wrong” by Nico & Vinz
- “No More I Sleep” by Chicane
- “Earthquake” by Labrinth
- “Breezeblocks” by alt-J
- “Heads/tails” by Hotspur
- “Umbrella” Scott Simons
- “Chariot” by Gavin Degraw
- “I Still Believe” Frank Turner
- “September” John Paul White
- “Another Noon” by Jon and Roy
- “Big Jet Plane” Angus & Julia Stone
- “God Made Man” Young the Giant
- “Awake My Soul” Mumford & Sons
- “Wanderlust” by Frank Turner
- “Rivers” by Frank Turner
- “Like a Dream” Francis and the Lights
- “Au Revoir” by OneRepublic
- “River and Roads” by The Head And The Heart
- “Autumn Leaves” Ed Sheeran
- “Heartbeats” by José González
- “Poison & Wine” by The Civil Wars
- “All I Want” by Kodaline
- “Nightcall” by London Grammar
- “Youth” by Daughter
- “This Gift” by Glen Hansard
- “Crossroads” by Tracy Chapman
- “Not With Haste” by Mumford & Sons
- “Below my feet” by Mumford & Sons
- “Even if It Breaks Your Heart” by Eli Young Band
- “Dirt” by Florida Georgia Line
- “Dare You to Move” by Switchfoot
What songs are on your travel playlists at the moment? I still have time to add a few; any recommendations?